David Moore, PhD
Executive Archaeologist of Exploring Joara Foundation, Inc.
Professor, Department of Sociology and Anthropology, Warren Wilson College
Dr. David Moore is the foundation’s Executive Archaeologist. He has worked at the Berry site for 25 years and currently directs the summer field school. He has directed major excavations at numerous sites in North Carolina including Hardaway, Warren Wilson, and Berry. His work in the upper Catawba Valley began in 1986 with excavations at the Berry site as part of his dissertation research. He is a faculty member in the Department of Sociology and Anthropology at Warren Wilson College.
Theresa McReynolds Shebalin, PhD
Director, Summer Camp Programs
Dr. Theresa McReynolds Shebalin directs the Archaeology Adventures summer camps. She has a B.S. in Geology from the College of William and Mary, an M.A. in Anthropology from Penn State, and a Ph.D. in Anthropology from the University of North Carolina. When she’s not helping kids unearth the mysteries of the Berry site or coordinating public archaeology events, Dr. Shebalin teaches science and coaches swimming at Durham Academy in Durham, North Carolina.
- Archaeology Day at History Museum of Burke Co.
Become a Member
- - Free or reduced access to special events
- - Member Days and special tour days at the Berry Site
- - Hands-on archaeology labs at the Wall Center
- - Community Days at the Catawba Meadows Living History Center
- - Academic presentations by experts in the field